Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad Recipe
Chicken macaroni salad is one of the most sought-after appetizers online. Though it’s popular and delicious, it is rarely seen during ordinary days. Oftentimes, this special dish is served during family gatherings like birthdays, fiestas, Noche Buenas and other special occasions.
Scroll down for video
Many think that Filipino chicken macaroni salad is complicated to make, but it’s not, actually. You just have to prepare the main ingredients beforehand, and once it’s ready, combine it all and put in the fridge.
For instance, the elbow macaroni must be cooked first then drained before it is combined with the other ingredients. The same with the chicken, it needs to be boiled or steamed before shredding and adding it to the mixture. But if you have some leftover chicken, you can use it instead. Just remove the bones and skin first. As for the carrots, chop it according to your preferred size, but small cube is recommended.
Don’t forget to chill it in the refrigerator before serving because cold chicken macaroni salad tastes better.
Chicken Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 lb chicken (preferably breast part)
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 2 cups of apple (cubed)
- ¾ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup minced carrots
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat water in a pot. Once it starts boiling, put 1 teaspoon of salt and add the chicken. Cook the chicken for about 25 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and drain the excess water. Let the chicken cool down.
- Wash your hands thoroughly, then strip the chicken meat using your hands. Don’t include the chicken skin and bones. Set aside.
- Next, cook the elbow macaroni (just follow the instructions on the packaging). Set aside once done.
- Combine the following ingredients in a large mixing bowl: mayonnaise, garlic powder, ground black pepper, and salt. Mix well, then taste if the flavor is to your liking. If not, adjust its taste according to your preference.
- Add the shredded and the rest of the ingredients except the cheese. Make sure that everything blends completely, then add the cheese. Blend lightly.
- Cover the container and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- You’re done. Enjoy your chicken macaroni salad!