Inihaw na Liempo (Grilled Pork Belly) Recipe
Inihaw na liempo (grilled pork belly) is a popular dish in the Philippines. It’s a simple dish really, but it never fails to ignite everyone’s appetite with just its smell. It is so popular that it spawned similar dishes like sinuglaw and dinakdakan, dishes that use grilled pork belly slices as the main component.
Scroll down for video
You may be wondering why we are featuring a pork dish when the country is observing Lenten Season. Let’s just say, this is in preparation for Easter Sunday celebration, would you agree?
What we like about grilled pork belly is its awesomeness in taste despite the simple preparation. You will only need basic ingredients such as soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, salt, and lemon, all of which are available in your cupboards.
As for the cooking method, nothing beats charcoal grilling as it produces a unique aroma so good that even your neighbors will salivate over what you’re preparing. In this method, the flame is difficult to control, so there’s a good chance that you’ll be eating soot if grilling is not done properly. But as long as you monitor it from start to finish, there will be no problem, some even find grilling enjoyable. But if you want a safer and easy way of cooking your grilled pork belly, you can do the grilling using a turbo broiler.
Inihaw na liempo is so flavorful that you will want to eat it by itself, but Filipinos prefer eating it with a beer in hand or dipped in a sauce, which is usually a mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, and chopped onions. Here’s how to cook grilled pork belly.
Grilled Pork Belly Recipe
- 1 kg pork belly
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 piece lemon (or 3 to 4 pieces calamansi)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup banana ketchup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Combine the following ingredients: pork belly, garlic, soy sauce, lemon, salt, and ground black pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to marinate.
- Get a bowl, pour the pork belly marinade, then add banana ketchup and cooking oil. Stir well.
- Start grilling the pork belly while basting the top part of the pork every after 10 minutes for about 20 minutes. Flip to the other side and do the same (grill while basting every after several minutes).
- Serve hot with toyomansi.