Filipino Recipes: The Delicious Leche Flan
Leche flan or caramel custard is one of the favorite desserts of many. It is made with eggs and milk. Most restaurants include this treat in their dessert menu not only because it’s totally delicious but also because it’s easy to prepare and has an extended shelf life.
Scroll down for video
Leche flan is originally from Europe, and from there, its popularity spread throughout the world including the Philippines where it became one of the favorite Filipino desserts of all time by its sweet-toothed citizens. It’s frequently sighted in the dining tables during town fiestas, birthdays, and other important occasions.
What most like about leche flan is its simple ingredients, which can be obtained from any stores, and its uncomplicated process that even a kitchen-resistant cook can do it. Just simply watch and follow the cooking video below.
Steps in Making Leche Flan
Begin the cooking process by beating all the egg yolks in a mixing bowl. You may use fork or better if you have a hand mixer. Whisk it until it’s smooth, then add the milks (both the condensed and fresh milk) as well as the vanilla extract. Whip until all the ingredients are blended thoroughly. Make sure also that there’s no bubble. Then set aside and do the next step—the making of the syrup.
Pour the sugar into the llanera or baking pan. Put the pan on the stovetop and begin heating. Don’t forget to wear protective hand gloves. Wait until the sugar melts. Once it caramelizes, remove it from the heat and let it cool down for a few minutes before pouring the mixture into the mold. Right after, cover it with foil.
The final process is the steaming of the mold. Steam it for about 30 to 35 minutes. Let it cool down before eating or better yet, put the leche flan in the refrigerator for a yummier dessert.
Leche Fland Ingredients
- 10 pieces raw eggs
- 1 small can condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk (or evaporated milk)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used).
- Place the egg yolks in a big bowl, then beat them using a fork or an egg beater.
- Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
- Pour-in the fresh milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire.
- Put the granulated sugar into the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color. (Note: sometimes it is hard to find a llanera depending on your location. It will also be more convenient to use individual round pans in making leche flan.)
- Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold.
- Wait for 5 minutes, then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold.
- Cover the top of the mold using an aluminum foil.
- Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
- After steaming, let the temperature cool down, then refrigerate.
- Serve for dessert. Share and enjoy!