Homemade Silvana Cookies Recipe
Not long ago, if someone wishes to eat authentic silvana cookies or sylvanas, they had to travel to Dumaguete City in Negros, the home of this delicious buttery cream dessert, to satisfy their cravings. But thanks to popular demand, the shop that bakes this yummy goodness opened several branches across the country to meet customers’ demands.
Silvana cookies are actually a buttercream filled cashew-meringue wafers covered with cashew crumbs. It’s so good, especially when it’s frozen.
Scroll down for the video
Learning How to Make Silvana Cookies
Ingredients for Meringue Wafer
- ½ cup egg whites
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup cashew nuts, finely ground and sifted
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
Ingredients for Icing
- ½ cup butter, softened at room temp.
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 ¾ cups cashew nuts, finely ground, and ¼ cup bread crumbs or
- 1 ¾ cups cake crumbs and ¼ cup cashew nuts, finely ground
Silvana Cookies Preparation Instructions
How to Make Meringue
1 . Preheat oven to 300°F. Cover cookie sheet with a wax paper or grease it with butter and sprinkle with flour.
2. Put cashew nuts in a food processor with the all-purpose flour and grind it until fine. If you don’t have a food processor, you may grind it manually using mortar and pestle. Then sift crushed cashew nuts and set aside. As for the sifted flour, put it in a separate bowl and reserve as well.
3. Mix egg whites and cream of tartar together in a bowl with wire whip. Beat for 1 minute at medium speed while slowly adding the caster sugar. And then add the almond extract while beating it at a faster pace. Continue whipping the egg whites until peak stands straight and glossy when lifted from the mixture.
4. Fold in flour and cashew nuts together on a sieve and slowly cut and fold until completely merged. Then place the mixture into a piping bag and cut the edge using a scissor.
5. Put meringue on the prepared cookie sheet. To ensure that your cookies will have standard size, outline circle patterns by tracing any circle object at hand with preferred size on the wax paper.
6. Once the meringue is transferred evenly onto the sheet, bake it in an oven for 25 minutes or until color turns light brown.
7. Let it cool down before transferring to a wire rack. Take note that meringue wafers easily break when hot, so be extra careful when handling it to avoid cracking. So while waiting for the wafer to cool down, it’s the perfect time to make the icing and coating.
How to Make the Icing
1. Dissolve sugar in milk, then add the cream butter and mix until smooth and pale in color.
2. Place the butter mixture in the ref and start preparing the coating mixture.
3. Get a leftover slice of sponge cake or a mamon and crush it in a bowl until fine. Add the ground cashew nuts and blend together. Set aside, then prepare the coating by mixing the finely crushed cashew nuts and bread crumbs (optional) in a bowl.
Assembling of Silvana Cookies
1. Get the chilled butter in the ref and stir it lightly using a brush. Graze some icing on a meringue wafer and cover it with another meringue wafer. Then cover it with the mixed nuts and crumbs coating. And that’s how you make the famously delicious silvana cookies.