Here’s an Easy Bistek Tagalog (Beef Steak) Recipe You Can Follow
We all know what beef steak is. But did you know there was actually a Filipino version of it? It is called bistek Tagalog.
Bistek is comprised of sliced beef cooked in soy sauce and lemon juice and then garnished with caramelized onion rings.
Scroll down for video
Bistek is loved by every Filipino, and one of the reasons for it is it does not require much ingredients and it is very easy to cook. Just have all of the condiments and other ingredients present, add a little love to it, and voila, you have your beef steak ready already.
How to Cook Bistek Tagalog (Beef Steak)
Cooking bistek Tagalog is quite easy, much easier than you think. Just follow the procedure indicated below and you should be able to produce a dish that your family will surely love. Is it important to note, however, that the beef should be marinated in soy sauce and lemon juice for an hour or more. This is to let the meat absorb the flavor prior to cooking.
Another thing to pay attention to is how you cut the beef into pieces. The manner in which you cut the beef will affect the texture of the dish and the length of time it will take to cook it. Tender cuts are recommended for shorter cooking time. If the cut of beef that you have is tough, try cooking it in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, thinly sliced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 pieces lemon or 6 pieces calamansi
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large onion, sliced into rings
- 6 tbsp cooking oil
- First, mix the soy sauce, lemon or calamansi, and ground black pepper. Then marinate the beef in the mix for at least an hour.
- Put the cooking oil in the pan, heat it, then add the onion rings. Stir-fry the onion until the texture turns soft. Set aside.
- Using the same pan where the onions were fried, fry the marinated beef (with the marinade removed). Wait until the color turns brown. Set aside.
- Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- Pour the marinade and bring to a boil.
- Put in the fried beef and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is tender. Add water as needed.
- Add the stir-fried onions and some salt to taste.
- Serve hot.