Buko Batchoy: The Hearty Soup from Panay You Will Love
Rainy days call for big bowls of soup, be it during snack time or meal time; after all, the cold cuddle weather always pairs beautifully with something hearty. Iloilo is one of the places in the Philippines that offer a lot of hearty soups—molo and batchoy among them. And while these soups are what made a mark, there are lesser-known ones that you should try, like the buko batchoy.
Scroll down for videos
Batchoy is a noodle soup with pork innards and garnished with crushed pork cracklings, vegetables, and topped with raw egg. Originating in La Paz, Iloilo, the authentic batchoy is distinct in taste compared to the others that popped out around the archipelago. If you’ve tried this hearty soup, you might want to try another version just a few hours away in Bugasong, Antique, called buko batchoy.
Mandurriao, Iloilo, also made their own version of the dish with the same process as making the original batchoy, but obviously, by its name, it’s made with buko.
How to Make Buko Batchoy
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make the famous buko batchoy from Panay:
- Fresh pancit miki
- Chopped pork innards (liver and kidneys)
- Cooked, chopped pork
- Coconut meat, cut into strips
- Chopped spring onion
- Fried garlic for extra flavor
- Buko juice
- 1 egg (optional)
- Coconut shell to serve as bowl
Learn how to cook this hearty soup in these easy steps:
- Place the fresh pancit miki in the coconut shell.
- Top off with buko strips.
- Add the pork, liver, fried garlic, and spring onions.
- Pour hot buko juice into the coconut shell.
- Garnish with chicharon (pork crackling).
- Crack a raw egg on top while the soup is still hot.
- Sprinkle some pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.
People who have had a taste of buko batchoy always end up asking for more. This dish isn’t only delicious but is very healthy too, considering that its ingredients include coconut, egg, and a lot more nutritious spices.
Now that you know how to cook this tasty treat, are you ready to it for yourself?
Watch the video below