Filipino Recipe: Homemade Cheese Dog
Everyone loves Sunday movie marathons over a sumptuous snack, or late-night conversations with a plate of homemade treat. A lot of snacks, though, take some time to prepare. Well, you can just buy some, but sometimes, we don’t have enough energy to get up, pick up a decent shirt and jeans, and hit the supermarket in the middle of the night. This is why it always pays to have a snack recipe that is not only easy to prepare but also very delectable.
A good example is cheese dog. It’s the usual hot dog but this time served with cheese as its filling. It’s delicious, sure to beat your hunger, and preparing it not very time-consuming. In this article, you will learn how to make cheese dog with a Filipino touch.
How to Prepare Cheese Dog the Pinoy Way
There are a lot of ways to prepare cheese dog. But what you are about to read is a simple one that uses cook wears readily available to every Filipino home and ingredients that won’t hurt your wallet.
Prepare the following ingredients:
- 3 hot dogs
- 3 buns
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- Grated quick-melt cheese
- Margarine (or butter)
- Chill flakes (optional)
- Sugar (option)
- Grab a frying pan and put 1 tbsp of butter. You can also use margarine for better taste, whichever you prefer. Sauté garlic so its taste sticks with the butter.
- Fry the sliced buns one by one until crispy. This will give a garlic-buttery taste to the buns, adding more dynamic flavor to your cheese dog.
- Set the buns aside and then sauté onion on the same pan. You can add chili flakes, sugar, or both so the cheese dog will have a sweet and/or spicy taste.
- Once onions are caramelized, set them aside on a clean saucer.
- Still on the same pan, fry the hot dogs. This allows the flavors of sautéed ingredients will give the hot dogs a more delicious taste.
- Once you’ve prepared all the ingredients, you’ll just have to mix them all.
- Place a hot dog in each bun, add the sautéed onions and the grated quick-melt cheese on top.
- Close the buns and fry them again. Slightly press them with a spatula to flatten. Remember to turn the heat down and fry it until cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese melts, you can then add ketchup and mayonnaise on top.
The next time you crave for some cheesy snacks, you don’t have to hit the mall. Simply put on your apron, grab your pan, and do the cooking yourself.
If a cheese dog won’t do, you can also try other cheesy treats like this puto cheese recipe. It’s as cheesy and yummy as the cheese dog.
Watch the video below
Credits video to Pinoy Media Blog