How to Make Chicken Bicol Express at Home
Bicol express is a popular dish in the Philippines. It has all the characteristics of a hearty meal. Bicol express is known for its tender meat, creaminess, and for being just spicy enough to awaken the taste buds. Though it is mostly served with pork meat, you are about to learn a more healthy variant: chicken Bicol express.
It is a known fact that red meats like beef, pork, and lamb contain more fats and cholesterol, which is why health-conscious individuals should consider chicken instead. Like pork Bicol express, the chicken is sautéed until brown and then cooked in coconut milk and shrimp. To balance the dish and add a little spice, green and red chili are mixed in.
Chicken Bicol Express Recipe
Scroll down for the video
- 3/4 kilo of chicken breast fillet, sliced into serving pieces
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup long green peppers sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon of bagoong alamang or sautéed shrimp paste
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 pieces of red chili or siling labuyo
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Patis or fish sauce to taste
- In a bowl filled with water and salt, soak green peppers for at least 30 minutes, then rinse and drain. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat vegetable oil, then sauté garlic and onion.
- Add chicken then sauté until it turns brown.
- Add shrimp paste and ground pepper while stirring mix for another minute.
- Pour coconut milk then bring to a boil.
- Add green peppers and red chili, then season with fish sauce to taste.
- Remove from heat. This dish is best served with rice. Enjoy your meal!