Chicken Inasal Recipe
Chicken inasal is a popular dish in Western Visayas region, particularly in Iloilo, where the famous Mang Inasal, the maker of the most delicious chicken barbecue in the land, originated. The preparation of the dish starts with marinating the chicken parts in a special mixture composed of various spices and then grilling them to perfection. What makes the chicken inasal unique from other barbecued chicken recipes is the marinade and basting sauce used.
Scroll down for video
Although this particular chicken dish was originally from Iloilo and Bacolod areas, it’s extremely popular throughout the Philippines. You will find barbecued chicken on skewers sold in almost every corners of the streets. You will also find this dish in several restaurants that specialize in chicken barbecue. Some even offer unlimited serving of rice when you buy a serving of chicken inasal.
Some meat or recipes require overnight marination; however, this chicken inasal recipe requires only at most three hours of marination. And for better absorption of the flavor, you can massage the chicken for a few minutes every hour.
Chicken skin is really yummy but is high in cholesterol. It also gets easily burnt, so if you want a less charred and healthier chicken, you can remove the skin.
If you notice, chicken inasal is yellowish in color, it’s because of the annatto oil, one of the not-so-secret ingredients of the dish.
If you’re craving for one but you live far from a food shop that serves this yummy dish, try this equally delectable chicken inasal recipe.
Chicken Inasal Ingredients
- 1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
- ½ tbsp ground black pepper
- ¾ cup cut lemongrass
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic
- ½ cup lemon or calamansi juice
- 1 cup coconut vinegar
- 1 cup lemon soda (soft drink)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp annatto oil (atsuete oil)
- 1 tsp lemon or calamansi juice
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a large bowl or zip-lock cellophane, put together the chicken, salt, lemongrass, ginger, ground black pepper, brown sugar, garlic, vinegar, lemon-lime soda, and lemon juice.
- Stir or shake the mixture until every ingredient is blended well. Marinade for 1 to 3 hours. For better absorption, massage the chicken parts for 5 minutes every hour (optional).
- In another container, combine butter, annatto oil, salt, and lemon juice, then mix well. Set aside.
- Grill the chicken while basting generous amount of the butter mixture until cooked.
- Transfer the grilled chicken to a serving plate.
- Serve with steamed white rice. Share and enjoy!
Watch the video below