Pancit Palabok Done the Easy Way
Pancit palabok is a popular noodle dish in the Philippines, made of rice noodles, thick sauce, and various toppings like shrimps, flakes of smoked fish, and pork chicharron. While noodles are generally easy to make, preparing the pancit palabok is a lot different, as it requires more work from you. The more toppings you want, the more preparation you have to do as each component of the dish is prepared separately, then assembled on the plate, ready to serve.
But if you want to make it quick while still yielding a very delicious result, here is a simple pancit palabok recipe you can follow.
Scroll down for video
Note: the thick yellow sauce is made from fat, meat, and juice extracted from crab meat. But if this is too tasking, you can also use fish sauce or shrimp cubes to add flavor to the sauce. If you are using fresh shrimps as part of your toppings, you can crush their heads to extract juice from them to add more flavor to the dish.
Easy-to-Follow Pancit Palabok Recipe
- 500 grams of rice noodles
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 300 grams ground pork
- 4 cups of water
- ½ cup flour, dissolved in 1 cup water
- 1 shrimp cube (pork cube if shrimp is not available)
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp annatto powder (food color can be used but lesser)
- 1 cup shrimps, boiled or steamed
- 1 cup chicharron, crushed
- 4 hard-boiled egg, cut into slices
- ½ cup smoked fish (tinapa) if available
- ¼ cup spring onions, chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Boil adequate water in a pot. While waiting for the water to boil, put the rice noodles in a bowl with water for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the water from the bowl then put the now softer rice noodles in the boiling water for about 3 to 5 minutes until cooked. Removed the noodles from the boiling water then set aside.
- Saute the garlic and onions in a saucepan then add the ground pork and fish sauce. Cook it for 7 to 10 minutes. Stir every so often to separate chunks.
- Pour the annatto powder into 3 cups of water, mix, then add to the pork. Cook for a few minutes until it boils again. Add the flour mixture then continue stirring until the liquid thickens. Sprinkled it with ground pepper then set aside.
- Pour 3/4 of the sauce to the noodles and mix. Transfer it to a serving plate, then pour the rest of the sauce on top.
- Arrange the toppings with spring onions and chicharron on top.
Watch the video below