Espasol Recipe: How to Make This Sweet Treat from Laguna
Laguna is home to a lot of tourist spots that draw millions of tourists every year. But it’s not just the magical falls, the historical churches, or the famous Rizal Shrine that make Laguna a must-visit. The province of Laguna boasts an array of local delicacies you won’t get enough of. One of it is espasol.
Scroll down for video
Made of rice flour cooked in coconut milk, espasol is basically a rice cake. It’s sweetness and creaminess in one delicious treat.
Anyone who’s gone to Laguna doesn’t leave the place without at least one bag of espasol. But if you don’t have the time to book a trip to the north, worry not. There’s a quick espasol recipe you can try at home.
‘Tatak-Laguna’ Espasol Recipe
If you’re looking for a sugary treat you and your friends can feast on as you lounge on the sofa recalling high school’s best moments, try this espasol recipe.
- 1 cup toasted sweet rice flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 6 cups toasted glutinous rice flour
- 6 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups toasted grated coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Prepare the cooking pot. Add the coconut milk and bring it to a boil.
- Put in the 4 cups of sugar.
- Stir for at least 10 minutes.
- Add the grated coconut. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vanilla essence. Add the rice flour and cook until the mixture becomes sticky thick.
- Once it becomes thick while folding, set it to cool.
- Prepare a flat container and dust it with the toasted rice flour.
- Split the mixture into parts and roll it over the dusted flat container or surface.
- Cut the parts into smaller pieces (as to the shape, it’s up to you).
- You can either serve them as they are in a plate or wrap them in plastic or paper.