Filipino Recipes: Ginisang Ampalaya with Shrimp
Ginisang ampalaya with shrimp (or sautéed bitter gourd) is a simple and easy-to-prepare dish. Even though this veggie has a bitter taste, it is liked by many because of its immense nutritional value. That’s why most recipes that uses bitter gourd or bitter melon require extra component to neutralize its bitter taste. In this version of ginisang ampalaya, shrimp and egg are used as the secondary ingredient.
Scroll down for video
Bitter gourds are named after its taste, but it is said that eating this vegetable helps lower blood sugar (for those with diabetes) and cholesterol. Not everyone is a fan of this vegetable, especially the young ones. But when we get older, some of us learn how to appreciate this veggie and will eventually get used to its taste.
But there are several ways of preparing this dish that will help diminish the bitter taste. One is to rub salt to it, then squeeze some of its juice, but this method will also get rid of its nutrients. Another way is to rub it with salt, but instead of squeezing out its nutritious juice, simply slice the vegetable thinly before cooking.
Ginisang ampalaya with shrimp is better if paired with pork and steamed white rice.
- 1 medium ampalaya (bitter gourd), cut in half lengthwise, cored, and sliced into thin pieces
- 8 to 10 pieces of shrimp
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 medium tomato, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Cook Ginisang Ampalaya with Shrimp
- Mix ampalaya and 1 tablespoon salt. Let it stay for 15 minutes, then wash with water.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, add the garlic. Saute until the color turns light brown.
- Add the onion and tomato. Sauce until the texture turns soft.
- Add the shrimp. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the ampalaya. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make extra room in the pan by pushing the mixture on the side. Pour the beaten eggs in the pan. Continue to cook the eggs while trying to stir around.
- Mix the cooked egg with the rest of the ingredients. Cook for a minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!