Tasty Grilled Mussels Recipe for the Perfect Backyard Party
Who doesn’t love grilling in the comfort of their own backyard? Having a little talk with friends and family over barbecue is simply one of the best forms of a get-together. Everybody knows that barbecued pork is always on the menu list when it comes to grilling parties, so it is time to mix things up by throwing in some grilled mussels!
The grilled mussels recipe you are about to learn is the perfect appetizer for a variety of reasons. It is delicious, easy to prepare, and a perfect dish to serve to non-meat eaters.
Easy Grilled Mussels Recipe
Scroll down for video
When it comes to purchasing a good batch, timing is everything. The peak season for mussels is October through March. Though farm-raised are safe to eat and are generally cleaner than the ones you’ll find in the sea, it is still important to clean them.
To clean your mussels, scrub the shell and remove the “beard” inside them using a brush or scour pad. To remove the beard, you’ll have to open the mussels. The easiest way to do this is by boiling them. Mussel shells automatically open after you leave them to boil for a few minutes.
Next to baking, grilling mussels is the easiest way to cook them. How many mussels you want to grill is all up to you, but for this recipe, it will be 1 lb. Mussels are best consumed fresh off the grill, but be warned, as these shells can be extremely HOT!
Here’s what you’ll need.
- 1 lb mussels
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium diced plum tomato
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Scrub the mussels and boil in 2 cups of water for 2 to 5 mins.
- Let the mussels cool and remove the beard. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Finally, add the tomato and tomato paste, then sauté the mix for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine parsley, mint, breadcrumbs, and lemon juice.
- Scoop the sautéed onion, garlic, and tomato mixture and arrange on top of the mussels. Add the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Heat the grill and grill mussels for 5 to 7 minutes in medium heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve as an appetizer.
- Share and enjoy with a fine glass of wine!