Homemade Otap Recipe
Otap biscuit is a sweet and crunchy wafer, a popular delicacy in the Queen City of the South along with dried mangoes, dried danggit and pusit—a must-buy pasalubong for those visiting Cebu. Otap biscuit also makes a good travel snack slash companion whether you’re traveling solo or with a group. Having a pack of this tasty bread in your bag won’t get you bored, it will keep your mouth and hands busy for the duration of your trip.
Scroll down for the video
Although otap biscuit is available in most supermarkets, it’s always worth learning new recipes as delicious as otap.
Homemade Otap Biscuit Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of cane sugar
- 1 tsp iodized fine salt
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 pc brown egg
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup of water
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup of cake flour
- Oil or butter for greasing dough and board
- In a mixing bowl, pour the flour, sugar, iodized salt, shortening, oil, egg, yeast, vanilla, and water. Mix thoroughly and knead until the dough is smooth and rubbery. Divide into two and set aside.
- Create a shortening mixture by combining shortening and cake flour, then again, divide into two.
- Grease the table with oil or butter then sprinkle with some flour.
- Spread each dough on the table and roll out.
- Pour the shortening mixture.
- Enclose the shortening mixture by gathering the dough’s edges.
- Pour some oil on top of the dough and let it stay for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Flatten the dough thinly on a greased board.
- Using a brush, slather the dough with oil or butter.
- Roll the dough tightly like a jelly roll. Each dough makes two rolls about 1-inch thick.
- Brush the dough again with more oil and let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Chop the dough crosswise into preferred size.
- Brush the dough with oil or butter and let it stay for another 10 minutes.
- Flatten each portion. Douse one side with sugar and transfer to the greased baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven over 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown.
Watch the video below