Lechon Paksiw Recipe
Filipinos are known for being frugal. They have plenty of dishes made from leftover foods or parts of meat and the like that are supposed to be useless but found new use with Filipinos ingenuity. One of the dishes that are created out of recycling leftover is lechon paksiw.
Lechon paksiw is a dish made from leftover roast, which is also called lechon. Another dish that can be made into a lechon paksiw is lechon kawali and lechon belly. Paksiw is a cooking method that makes use of vinegar and garlic. Many will probably agree that cooking lechon into a paksiw is a good idea because reheating the same food over and over again will diminish the quality of the food. Paksiw brings new flavor to the food item.
Scroll down for video
What makes the lechon paksiw flavorful is its sauce, it’s one of the main components of the dish. So if you have a leftover lechon at home, you can try turning it into a new delicious dish.
Cooking Lechon Paksiw
Cooking lechon paksiw is not at all complicated. As long as you have a leftover roasted pork, lechon, or lechon kawali in the fridge, you’re good to go. First, have the meat ready by cutting it into serving pieces. Then boil the beef stock. You may also use instant pork or beef cube as an alternative.
Once it’s boiling already, put all the seasonings and spices, then lastly, the meat. Simmer it so the meat absorbs all the flavors.
When the meat is tender, you may pour now the lechon sauce and throw in the remaining ingredients (refer to the recipe below). But if you don’t have much time and in a hurry, you can put the ingredients and the meat all at once. Cover it, then simmer for approximately 35 minutes. Salt and pepper may be added toward the end for added taste.
Here’s the lechon recipe. Try it and tell us if you enjoy it.
- 2 kg leftover lechon or lechon kawali
- 3 cups lechon sauce (you can make your own or use ready mix)
- 8 pcs dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole peppercorn
- 6 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 large chopped onions
- ¾ cups sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- ¾ cups vinegar
- salt to taste
How to Cook Lechon Paksiw
- Put the cooking pot on the stove and pour in the beef stock. Let it boil.
- Put in the onions and garlic, cook it until it becomes soft.
- Next are whole peppercorns, dried bay leaves, and soy sauce.
- Now put the leftover lechon on the pot and simmer for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Pour the vinegar and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add the sugar and lechon sauce, then simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add some salt to taste then mix.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with white hot rice. Enjoy!
Watch the video below