Easy Pancit Bihon Recipe
Pancit bihon is a ubiquitous Filipino noodle dish next to rice. This food practically has become a constant part of every important occasion of our lives. During birthdays, it is usually served as a symbol of long life. While it’s a favorite during fiestas and parties, these days, pancit bihon is considered by most people as a filling snack. Why not, with rice sticks, vegetables, pork and shrimp bits, the dish itself is a complete meal.
Scroll down for video
Cooking pancit bihon is very simple. As one of the all-time favorite dishes by many, it’s not surprising if every household has their own version of the dish. There are even more recipes you can find on the Internet. You choose one version to try and see if the taste suits you; if not, move on to your next find.
If you wish to try our version of this dish, here’s the step-by-step instructions.
Filipino Pancit Bihon Recipe
- ½ kg pancit bihon (preferably the Vermicelli glass noodles)
- 1⁄4 kg pork, pre-cooked, cut into small and thin slices
- ½ lb chicken, cooked, deboned, and cut into thin slices
- 250 g shrimp, shell removed (optional)
- 50 g pea pods or snow pea
- ½ small cabbage, sliced in small
- 1 cup carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery leaves, chopped finely
- 1 pc chicken cube
- ½ tbsp garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 to 4 cups water
- Soak the noodles in a basin with water. This is to soften and separate the rice sticks.
- In a wok, sauté the garlic and onion.
- Put in the pork and chicken then cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour water and add the chicken cube, then simmer it for about 15 minutes.
- Add the veggies: the carrots, cabbage, celery leaves, and pea pod, then simmer for a few minutes.
- Transfer all the ingredients in the pot to another container, leaving the liquid, and set aside.
- In the same wok, add the soy sauce and mix with the remaining liquid.
- Add the pancit bihon but make sure to drain the excess water first. Mix well. Continue cooking until the liquid evaporates completely.
- Add the ingredients, the meat and veggies you’ve set aside earlier, and mix it well with the noodles. Cook it for a couple of minutes.
And you’re done!
p style=”font-weight: 400; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-top: 20px; font-size: 20px; font-family: ‘Lato’, sans-serif; line-height: 1.1;”>Watch the video below