Special Pinakbet Recipe
Pinakbet is an original Ilocano dish so delicious that it concocted many versions from different areas in the country. What we have here is pinakbet recipe the Tagalog version.
Scroll down for video
The original pinakbet dish is composed of various vegetables including bitter melon, eggplant, okra, and string beans, all of which are easily accessible. You can add other vegetables like malunggay, camote, and others, but it’s only optional. But since this is the Tagalog version of the pinakbet recipe, squash is added and shrimp paste is used instead of bagoong (anchovies). The anchovies sauce is actually the secret ingredient of this recipe. It’s what makes the dish so flavorful and delicious.
In some versions, a crushed chicharon is added as toppings for that extra crunch. Make sure that you use only the freshest ingredients because it’s healthier. On the other hand, we suggest you ditch your diet mode because eating this dish will force you to ask for an extra rice.
Here’s a recipe of the Tagalog version of the yummy pinakbet.
- ¼ lb pork, cut in bite-size
- ¼ lb squash
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 medium-sized bitter melon
- 1 band string beans
- 6 to 8 pieces okra
- 3 pieces large tomato
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 4 tbsp shrimp paste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil or butter
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the pan on the stove and put the cooking oil.
- When oil is already hot, saute the garlic, ginger, onion, and tomato.
- Add the pork and stir until color turns light brown (approximately 5 to 8 minutes).
- Add the shrimp paste and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add water and let it boil. Simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Add the squash first and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until texture becomes soft.
- Then add the remaining vegetables and combine with the other ingredients. Simmer for 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked. Be careful not to overcook the veggies.
- Serve hot newly cooked white rice. Dig in!
Watch the video below