Pork Sisig Recipe
Pork sisig or sizzling sisig is one of the Filipino favorite appetizers and pulutan. The late Lucia Cunanan, a Papangeno chef also known as the Sisig Queen, was the one who invented the recipe. The taste just clicked and it became so popular across the archipelago that majority of Filipino bars and restaurants in the country have a pork sisig on their menu.
Pork sisig original recipe ingredients consist of chopped pig’s ears, cheeks, and snout (even pig’s tongue) with some chicken liver. Today, several variations of the sisig recipe have cropped up such as tuna sisig, squid sisig, milkfish sisig, and many more.
Scroll down for video
What we have here is a variation of pork sisig that uses mayonnaise and egg garnished with chopped green onions. You can trust that this dish will exceed your expectations. For the binder, we will use mayo instead of the original pig brain.
Though you can just easily go to your favorite restaurant or carinderia to eat your favorite kind of sisig, it’s still worth it to learn how to cook one. For one, you get to play with the ingredients and add some twist to it depending on your taste, but mainly, you are sure that the ingredients will be cooked properly. If you feel like you have perfectly made the dish, if you’re confident enough, you can invite your friends and even teach them how to cook it!
Pork Sisig Recipe
- 1 lb pig ears
- 1½ lb pork belly
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 knob ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 piece lemon (or 3 to 5 pieces calamansi)
- ½ cup butter (or margarine)
- ¼ lb chicken liver
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt
- Pour the water into a pan and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper.
- Put-in the pig’s ears and pork belly, then simmer for 40 minutes to 1 hour (or until tender).
- Remove the boiled ingredients from the pot, then drain the excess water.
- Grill the boiled pig ears and pork belly until done
- Chop the pig ears and pork belly into fine pieces
- In a wide pan, melt the butter or margarine. Add the onions. Cook until onions are soft.
- Put in the ginger and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the chicken liver. Crush the chicken liver while cooking it in the pan.
- Add the chopped pig ears and pork belly. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes
- Put in the soy sauce, garlic powder, and chili. Mix well
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in the mayonnaise and mix with the other ingredients
- Transfer to a serving plate. Top with chopped green onions and raw egg.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy. (Add the lemon or calamansi before eating.)
Watch the video below