Easy Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe for the Family
Make your dining experience even more enjoyable with this scrumptious chicken cordon bleu recipe.
Derived from the French words cordon bleu, which literally translates as “blue ribbon” in English, this party staple is originally a dish made of veal or pork that is pounded thin and wrapped around a slice of ham and Swiss cheese. It is then breaded and then later pan-fried or baked after sprinkling some seasoning. The chicken version of this popular dish is more affordable and healthy. Chicken cordon bleu is a great alternative to pork or veal. Other than substituting the type of meat used, it is made practically with the same ingredients and recipe.
Don’t let the cordon bleu’s intimidating name fool you, this dish is one of the easiest entrees to prepare. Learn the easy steps to making your own version of the chicken cordon bleu recipe below.
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
Scroll down for video
Here’s what you’ll need
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 pieces of boneless chicken breast cut in halves
- 6 slices of Swiss cheese
- 12 thinly-sliced pieces of ham
- 1 pieces raw egg
- 4 teaspoons of softened butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175°C.
- Mix the softened butter and salt.
- Place each piece of chicken breast on a flat surface. Brush the top with the butter and salt mixture and sprinkle paprika for extra flavor.
- Place the ham slices on top of the chicken breast and follow with the Swiss cheese.
- Start rolling each breast and secure with a toothpick to ensure that they are tightly rolled.
- Once you’re done rolling the chicken breasts, combine the leftover butter/salt mixture with egg and whisk until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Coat the outer part of the chicken breasts with the mix, then dredge in bread crumbs.
- Heat the chicken breast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- You can hasten the baking process by covering the chicken breast with aluminum foil and continue baking at a lower temperature until fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and take out toothpicks. Slice into individual servings and enjoy!
Watch the video below